Washington, District Of Columbia

Update by user Feb 03, 2012

UPDATE: Just as I posted this rant about Westlake and hoped everyone read it, I hope everyone reads this. Upon confirmation received from DMV Investigators, I do not feel that Westlake had any knowing involvement in this issue. It seems a duplicate title was received by the dealer, and it was he who forged the signature on my title and tranferred the vehicle into someone else\'s name.

A gentleman contacted me in response to this pot and offered his assistance. He was not directly involved with Westlake but was able to gain some information with them. In his findings, it was also discovered that the person my title was transferred to also held a loan with them, bought from the same dealer. However, the vehicle he is supposed to have in their records, couldn\'t be mistaken for mine in any way, shape, or form. I would like to belive this was a paperwork screw up on the dealer\'s behalf, but the bottom line remains: a duplicate title was ordered, they forged my signature on the title, and no other vehicle is registered under my name. That shows me the dealer either did this to try and gain money from Westlake somewhere, or the other person\'s title was unable to be issued so they used mine in order to keep the sale. This reasoning is still a mystery as of now.

This information was then passed onto one of the heads of Westlake, with whom I held a very extensive conversation with. He answered all of the questions I had for him about their processes without hesitation and showed genuine concern, not just for the company, but for me as well. Westlake is going above and beyond what they need to do for me, since in reality, my situation is really not their problem, as I do not owe them any money and they have no vested interest in my vehicle. However, they are still helping me, and we both have the same idea of what the right thing to ultimately happen is. They are trying their best to make that happen for me (I can not state the actual agreement, as I do not think that would be fair to them), and I commend them for being so on top of this. I realize a lot has to do with the fact they want to make sure their company is safe, and I completely agree with that. But they also seem to honestly feel bad that this has happened, and they want to make things right for me and everyone else involved. If it wasn\'t for them, my finish line for this would be a long way off while waiting for Investigations to complete this, along with the overload of cases they already have. Westlake has the opportunity and ability to handle this very quickly and efficiently, and they were on top of it the moment I responded to the email. I\'m hoping this is all history in the next week or so.

For now, I will leave this post, in hopes that all who read the first will read this and maybe reconsider their opinion of Westlake (no, no one asked me to post this, nor has anyone ferom Westlake even mentioned this post other than their email offering assistance). Once this ordeal is settled, I will remove the post completely, and write another on Westlake in appreciation for their hard work and dedication (and again, this was not requested by anyine either). I will, however, post a rant on the dealer (I do not want to blast their name out right now, until their records have been viewed by the boys in blue)once this is over. That is, of course, if he isn\'t selling contraband with Bubba rather than automobiles.

On a final note, I would still cross reference your information with DMV, as no one knows if this is an isolated incident. No one deserves to be defrauded like this, not us consumers, and not the finance companies. We have all put out hard earned money, and we deserve to keep what we\'ve worked for.

Original review posted by user Jan 24, 2012

I, as well as many others, have had a severe issue with Westlake Financial. I would love to be a part of a class action lawsuit, as I have found some very interesting information while researching my own account with this so-called company. My story is as follows:

I purchased my vehicle from a "buy here, pay here" dealership in 11/10. I was told if I made regular payments for 6 months to the dealership, they would try and get me approved through a finance company for the remainder of the loan to help build my credit. I made each and every payment before the due date of the 6th of each month and my account was outstanding with the dealership.

On 4/11/11, Westlake Financial mailed out about 5 letters to me. All the letters and billing statements said I owed up to $1,500 on the vehicle, and the final letter said my account was ready to be sent for repossession. The day after I received those letters, I got a "Welcome" letter from Westlake, stating that they had purchased the vehicle loan from the dealership. I immediately called the dealer because I was not notified that the account was bought by another company. When I stated what was in the statements and letters, the owner requested I bring the letters to him. I took these things to the dealership, they verified that Westlake bought the account, and he verified that all my payments were in order. He also noticed that none of the amounts added up correctly or matched, showed concern about that, and promised to contact Scott who was their account manager at Westlake.

I, in turn, went home and contacted Westlake myself, to be sure the dealer made his follow-up call, as well as ensure my vehicle would not be repossessed because of an error no one could explain. I spoke with a representative who stated that I only owed the payment for 4/11, but I would need to make that immediately or they would repossess my vehicle. I explained to her that I had already paid the dealer that payment, had the receipt in my hand, and that the dealer was on standby to verify that information. She then said that they could not contact the dealer, and it was my responsibility to pay Westlake immediately, then recover my payment from the dealer. I attempted to very nicely explain to her that I was not going to pay 4/11's payment twice, and that they needed to collect it or contact the dealer. I then hung up, and after several repeated attempts of calling back and speaking to a supervisor (which none of the reps would allow), someone finally transferred me. I spoke with an account supervisor named Veronica, and as much as I loathe about everyone in this company, I have to admit she was very kind and helpful. She told me my account was nowhere near delinquent enough to warrant a repossession, and asked me to fax her the receipt I had for the 4/11 payment. She said that she would retract the late fee that was applied, and be sure to credit my account accordingly the moment she got the fax. For the most part, that is what happened, however, she took a week to bring the account to current, and I received about 3 to 5 phone calls from collections reps requesting this payment. After explaining it once or twice when they called and them telling me I was lying to them, I quit answering the phone when their number showed up. I did have to call Veronica more than once to check on whether or not my account had been updated. Once those calls started coming from the collection reps, I left her a voicemail stating that if my vehicle was repossessed because of this, that they would no longer have to worry about whether or not I paid, because they would be the ones paying for my vehicle after I file a lawsuit. Within the next 24 hours, the account was corrected and the calls stopped.

On 5/1/11, I was moving from CA back east to be near my father who is very ill with cancer. I mailed a money order to them, and never heard from them during that month.

On 6/3/11, I decided I would start using the online payments, so that I would have a double record of payments. When I tried to log on to my account, the site stated I did not have an account with Westlake Financial. Confused, I called them. The gentleman I spoke to (his name eludes me, but he was fairly pleasant) told me that the account was paid off by the dealer on 6/2/11. I asked him how that could be, and he apologized, saying that was the only information they were able to give me. I then called the dealership, who told me they had no idea of what I was talking about, and they would check it out and call me back, but they never did. I attempted to pay again on 6/15/11, thinking that something must have been resolved at this point, but Westlake again told me they no longer held this account. Upon trying to call the dealer again, I got no response, nor have I received a response what-so-ever from the dealership since 6/3/11, when they told me they would return my call.

On 7/1/11, I attempted this again, making an effort to pay on my vehicle. I got the same response from Westlake Financial, that they no longer had investment interest in my vehicle. No response from the dealership either. At this point, I gave up trying to contact them. I put a change of address in at the post office, and both companies had my correct phone number. I held the money, knowing that eventually this "mistake" would resurface, and I would be prepared.

It is now 01/24/12, seven months since I have heard anything about the vehicle. I spent a lot of the money I had put away for the vehicle payment each month because of costly medications and extra expenses for my father. Now that my taxes are almost ready to come in, I thought it would be a good time to try to straighten this out again.

I call Westlake, and am still told the vehicle was paid off by the dealer on 6/2/11, and that on 6/10/11, the lien on the title under my name was released from Westlake. Out of curiosity, I ask them to be sure, whose name is on the title. A very nice man in the Title Department named Giovanni told me the title was in my name and that he will mail the lien release paperwork for my records. So, I again try and call the dealership and get nothing.At this point, I am at wits end of figuring out what is going on, so I decide to call CA DMV and see what they might tell me. The representative asks me for the license plate and VIN number for my vehicle. Then she says, "what was your name again?" I tell her, and she pauses for a moment and says, "you're listed as a previous owner of the vehicle, but not the current owner." At this point I make her repeat herself because I think my ears had some sort of nervous breakdown. She then asks if the vehicle is in my possession, and I tell her that it has been since the day of purchase, which confuses her more and she gives me more information to try and help clarify this slowly growing disaster.

This information she shared with me I thought was impossible to be true. She informed me that on 4/6/11, the very same day that Westlake Financial acquired this account, is the day the owner information was changed at DMV. The registered owner is not the dealership, although they still show as the lien holder on the current title, and the owner is not Westlake Financial, but a private person just like myself. This vehicle was transferred to another person on the very same day the Westlake bought the account.

In my hand, I have my renewal registration that I paid for on 3/1/11, that was in effect as of 4/14/11 to 4/14/2012, which apparently a useless piece of paper now.

I have spent 9 hours today on the phone in an attempt to come to some type of conclusion or a step towards a resolution, only to continue to be empty handed. I now have a vehicle that paperwork-wise I have no investment or ownership in, even though I have every agreement and document sitting in front of me, including the original dealer paperwork. The interesting piece of information I was able to find out, is that it's not a simple error, such as someone putting my name on another vehicle, and someone else's name on mine, because DMV did a search for vehicles registered under my name and there are none. In addition, I called a police department, (who really is not supposed to give this information over the phone, but when I explained the whole situation I guess they figured I had to be real because no one could ever make this up), and they confirmed that the vehicle has not been reported as stolen, so the person that "owns" my vehicle is riding in a vehicle with a VIN number that doesn't match. My question is, does this person know and the entire transaction was illegal? Or is this person an unsuspecting, innocent party who will get the news much later down the road and be as lost as I am?

Keep in mind, I never knew Westlake Financial would take over my account, and I was never notified by the dealer that the account was under new ownership. There is nothing in my paperwork even making a mention of the company, and once I brought all my discrepancies to the dealer, they began ignoring my calls and avoided me like the plague. Do they know what's going on here? Are they a willing part of it?

I also wonder if this same situation has not happened to others. I saw so many reviews stating illegal repossession and Westlake refused to return the vehicle. These innocent people had already lost their vehicle, so they wouldn't bother to call DMV, most likely, and have the records checked. I, on the other hand, still have possession of the vehicle, was attempting to try and set up a way to fix what I thought was the confusion, and had no choice but to contact DMV since my registration expires in just under 3 months. I wonder if I had stayed in the local area, and not moved back east, if the same would have happened to me as it did all these other innocent folks? I never would have called DMV to check info if they'd repossessed my vehicle, I would have had no reason to.

The point I am at now is waiting until tomorrow when a woman from the Special Processing Department of DMV follows up with me once she is able to pull the micro film of the transactions that took place leading up to my name being removed from the vehicle. From there I should have a clearer picture of how this happened. She also advised me to have an officer come out and "Certify" that the vehicle I have is truly the match for my paperwork. An officer came out this evening, ran my plate 3 times through dispatch who then told him my tags came up under no one's name. He did not run the VIN because he said I needed to request the theft department come out to check the hidden VIN numbers that are not so easy to change. He said the police wouldn't bother me if I were to continue to drive the vehicle if this isn't resolved by 4/12, because I have paperwork that seems to match the vehicle and no one else's name is associated with the plate. However, as of April, if something isn't done, this vehicle will be no more than a glorified lawn ornament.

I think that everyone who has had dealings, especially if their vehicle has been newly repossessed, with this fraud of a company should call CA DMV at 1-800-777-0133 and ask them to confirm that you are the registered owner of the vehicle. If more people are found to be in the same situation I am, maybe we can finally put a stop to this.

Product or Service Mentioned: Westlake Financial Services Loan.

Comments

Just to keep you posted, there is now a class action lawsuit against Westlake for illegal repos, excessive interest charges, etc. I just received the letter yesterday, but I don't have it here with me at work.

The attorneys are from Towson, MD. I will bring the letter and post more info.

Andromeda5174

UPDATE: Just as I posted this rant about Westlake and hoped everyone read it, I hope everyone reads this. Upon confirmation received from DMV Investigators, I do not feel that Westlake had any knowing involvement in this issue. It seems a duplicate title was received by the dealer, and it was he who forged the signature on my title and tranferred the vehicle into someone else's name.

A gentleman contacted me in response to this pot and offered his assistance. He was not directly involved with Westlake but was able to gain some information with them. In his findings, it was also discovered that the person my title was transferred to also held a loan with them, bought from the same dealer. However, the vehicle he is supposed to have in their records, couldn't be mistaken for mine in any way, shape, or form. I would like to belive this was a paperwork screw up on the dealer's behalf, but the bottom line remains: a duplicate title was ordered, they forged my signature on the title, and no other vehicle is registered under my name. That shows me the dealer either did this to try and gain money from Westlake somewhere, or the other person's title was unable to be issued so they used mine in order to keep the sale. This reasoning is still a mystery as of now.

This information was then passed onto one of the heads of Westlake, with whom I held a very extensive conversation with. He answered all of the questions I had for him about their processes without hesitation and showed genuine concern, not just for the company, but for me as well. Westlake is going above and beyond what they need to do for me, since in reality, my situation is really not their problem, as I do not owe them any money and they have no vested interest in my vehicle. However, they are still helping me, and we both have the same idea of what the right thing to ultimately happen is. They are trying their best to make that happen for me (I can not state the actual agreement, as I do not think that would be fair to them), and I commend them for being so on top of this. I realize a lot has to do with the fact they want to make sure their company is safe, and I completely agree with that. But they also seem to honestly feel bad that this has happened, and they want to make things right for me and everyone else involved. If it wasn't for them, my finish line for this would be a long way off while waiting for Investigations to complete this, along with the overload of cases they already have. Westlake has the opportunity and ability to handle this very quickly and efficiently, and they were on top of it the moment I responded to the email. I'm hoping this is all history in the next week or so.

For now, I will leave this post, in hopes that all who read the first will read this and maybe reconsider their opinion of Westlake (no, no one asked me to post this, nor has anyone ferom Westlake even mentioned this post other than their email offering assistance). Once this ordeal is settled, I will remove the post completely, and write another on Westlake in appreciation for their hard work and dedication (and again, this was not requested by anyine either). I will, however, post a rant on the dealer (I do not want to blast their name out right now, until their records have been viewed by the boys in blue)once this is over. That is, of course, if he isn't selling contraband with Bubba rather than automobiles.

On a final note, I would still cross reference your information with DMV, as no one knows if this is an isolated incident. No one deserves to be defrauded like this, not us consumers, and not the finance companies. We have all put out hard earned money, and we deserve to keep what we've worked for.

I had a similar action happen with my student loans. I had an automatic deduction from my banking account.

Nelnet student loans would just take their payment every month. Well it turned out Nelnet sold my student loans to Suntrust. In the process they messed up my address. It turned out nelnet took payments from me for 3 months and Suntrust had me at 90 days past due.

I eventually got my money back and applied it to the new loan company. I also asked them to not mark it as bad credit due to the situation. Than you for the info on west lake it just reminded me of my issue. I know when we got our vehicle loan through Westlake we had a lot of weird phone calls right away.

the first two months they called repeatedly before the payment was due to remind us that it would be due, I told them to stop calling and to look at our account. That I don't want reminder calls and they are only to call me if I am late. I have not been late and since I stopped them they have not called to bug me. In you case I think the car dealership did you wrong.

I am not sure you can blame Westlake for what your dealer did. Just as I shouln't blame Suntrust for what Nelnet did.

Andromeda5174

I apologize, I meant contact me at andromeda5174@gmail.com. Sorry about that, I made an email address specific for this stuff.

Andromeda5174

Heed my advice very carefully...contact DMV immediately and verify that you are still the registered owner of the jeep (I don't care what your registration says, call DMV anyway). After you have done that, contact me at andromeda5174@yahoo.com, I am currently going through something similar, and I can help you with the next step.

I am not a lawyer, nor am I soliciting any business. I am a regular person who sniffed out one heck of an illegal operation. Let me know what you find out.

Good luck! :?

My vehicle is in high risk collections over 24$ and I am not past due on any payment. Westlake is threatening to repossess my jeep, and the dealership I purchased my vehicle from shut down a week after I bought it.

I know Westlake is up to something and I don't know what the next step is, as in taking action against them. Ride a bike around town?