1.2K views

I've read the various horror stories regarding Westlake and would like to add my own. I caution anyone considering a loan through Westlake to do whatever it takes to obtain your car by other means. It just isn't worth the aggravation you will go through dealing with these people if you find yourself in a position paying them late.

I'm married, in my late 50's with two teenage daughters. For most of my life my wife and I have enjoyed good credit. That all changed about 5 years ago. I lost my job suddenly after nearly 25 years of steady employment with the same company, there were some health problems and a subsequent bankruptcy. Before we knew it, we were behind in all of our bills and our credit rating was no longer anywhere near good. It doesn't take much to sink into the abyss, but it takes a long, long time to find your way out.

Two years ago we found ourselves in need of a used car. Due to the poor credit no one would touch us. Then the knight in shining armor named Westlake rode to our rescue. Ha! The guy at the dealership told us up front that he preferred not to use Westlake because they could be "aggressive" if you were late in making a payment. Unfortunately it was our only option. We obtained the loan and a ridiculously high rate and off we drove in the "new" car.

For the first year everything was fine. We paid on time, no problems. Then one day I lost my job again, more health problems hit the family, one thing led to another and circumstances dictated that we had to constantly juggle bills and we began paying Westlake late. BOOM! That's when the **** hit the fan. I should mention that we put an emphasis on paying the mortgage, food, utilities etc. first and the car- Westlake- last. It just works out better that way for us right now. For the past year our payment to them averages 7-10 days late. One month we were 19 days late and another 23 but that was extreme. During this time we have experienced the following;

- As soon as you are one day late the phone calls begin. Westlake will call you at home, on your cell phone and at work. There is never any pattern. They might call once or twice a day or as many as 5-6 or more. Their "record" is leaving 3 messages at home, 5 on my cell phone, 3 at work and 2 with a friend of mine- one of my references. 13 calls in one day, amazing. I would have called them back but I was in the hospital undergoing surgery at the time! Later that day when my wife called to find out what they wanted and told them I was in the hospital she was told "that's a *** of a story. I havent heard that one before" and "next time he has surgery tell him to make arrangements to pay his bills." All things considered those are mild Westlake comments.

- At times Westlake's representatives will leave a message, other times they merely hang up. Frequently their "message" is Spanish/Mexican dance music but no voice. There's nothing like going to work and having a boss or coworker hnd you a message to call Westlake. Most aggravating and embarrassing of all is when they call one- or more- of the references from your loan application. A friend of mine once called me quite angrily to say Westlake called his house and began yelling at his 10 year old son who had answered the phone. When my friend grabbed the phone from his crying son he was told "I wouldn't be calling you if your dead beat friend would make his payments." Dead beat. Gotta love it.

- Their "Customer Service Representatives" are almost always young, heavily accented Hispanic/Latino and rude. More often than not they go beyond rude and are extremely condescending. No amount of explanation or negotiation on your part will matter. They quite simply do not want to hear it. They want their money and they want it NOW or else! Although I have never been cursed at, I have been yelled at. Once in the midst of explaining why our payment was going to be late, the young woman on the other end of the phone cut me off and said "sounds like you need to go on Welfare."

- Frequently your return calls to Westlake will be forwarded into the bowels of their system without ever reaching a human being, you will be disconnected or placed on eternal hold. If you have the audacity to ask to speak with a supervisor they will 100% of the time be "in a meeting." I have been passed from one person to another to another, with each of them giggling or trying to suppress laughter. It's a game to them. On the rare occasion I was able to speak with a "supervisor," I strongly suspect it was not.

- Westlake's employees will ask you why you're out of work, why you don't get a loan from a friend or family member or why don't you get a part time job. It goes on and on. In some cases it's not a question but a demand, as in "You need to borrow the money off a friend or family member." On so many occasions I have patiently taken the time to explain to them our financial circumstances, going far beyond what I should have to to try and communicate to them why the payment will be late or is late. To no avail. There have been days when I have talked with 2-3 different people only to have Westlake call again later that day or even within the hour. They have called work or my friends shortly after speaking with me. One day I was completely exasperated and told the girl "I just spoke with Javier and hour ago and Juan an hour before that!" Her response was to ask "Do you have the money for the payment yet?"

- As bad as things are when dealing with 'Customer Service" it only gets worse if your account is forwarded to "Collections." That's when you meet the hardcore Westlake employees. Verbal abuse and harassment go to new heights when dealing with the people at Collections. I once saved a message for friends and family to listen to. It required half a dozen college educated adults listening several times to decipher the guy's rapid nearly unintelligible dialect. As near as we could tell the message was "This is Carlos from Westlake Financial. You have ignored us for the last time. You have exactly 30 minutes to contact Westlake with your payment or your vehicle will be repossesed." He then repeated the message in Spanish! Funny thing, I had made the payment- including late fees- the day before!

That's all for now folks. There's more but I'm getting angry just writing this so I'll call it a night. No sense in having an artery burst over Westlake Financial. You get the point. Avoid Westlake at all costs!

Review about: Westlake Financial Services Loan.

Had an Experience with Westlake Financial Services?

Comments

seems like everyone is complaining ive been in a bad position where ive needed to borrow money and point blank if you cant afford it you shouldnt get it and on top of that no one really cares if you have other bills to pay those are personal issues responsible people pay theyre bills no seems to complain about the money that was put in their pocket just complain when asked to pay it back

If they are calling you that often- it's against the law.They are not allowed to call you at work either.

You can file a complaint against them to the BBB and the state and you should. It's harassment and it's illegal.

Really.File a formal complaint.

I WILL SAY ONE MORE THING.WESTLAE IT'S NOT OVER.MY PASTOR HELPED ME TWO MONTHS AGO BY PAYING WITH HIS CREDIT CARD.YOU DON'T DO THIS TO A GUY LIKE THAT AND HE IS NOT ONE TO FOOL WITH.YOU GAVE HIM YOUR WORD THEN I PAID MY SECOND PAYMENT.THIS JUST BETTER BE ONE OF YOUR MESS UPS THAT MY CAR WAS REPO BY A MISTAKE AND IT HAS TO BE RETURNED.YOU ARE ALL *** AND I WILL JUST SIT BACK FOR AWHILE CAUSE YOU RIPPED OFF $235.36 PLUS A $9.00 CHARGE TO MY PASTOR.HE CAN GET YOU LEGALLY.AND YOU NEED TO GET BETTER REPO MEN HE WAS THE BIGGEST WUS.AND HE WAS GOING TO VIDEO TAPE ME IF I CUT HIS STRAPS.I WOULD HAVE BROKED THE CAMERA.I GO TO JAIL OH WELL IT WOULD HAVE BEEN WELL WORTH IT.BUT I DIDN'T DO IT .

THEY JUST CAME LAST NIGHT AND TOOK MY CAR.THE *** WHO CAME WAS BY HIMSELF AND I TOLD HIM TO REMOVE THE STRAPS AND GET OFF MY PROPERTY.WELL HE DIDN'T LIST AND I TOLD HIM I WOULD CUT THEM IF HE DIDN'T.I WAS REALLY PISSED.I ONLY OWE $850 ON THE CAR 3 PAYMENTS.WELL THE *** CALLED THE POLICE AND I THOUGHT WITH IT BEING CIVIL THEY CANT AND DON'T GET INVOLVED.ANYHOW I GOT INTO A GOOD ARGUMENT WITH THE COP WHO WASYOUNGER AND ME AND HE JUST STARTED YELLING AT ME TREATING ME LIKE A KID.HE SAID HE WAS GOING TO ARREST ME AND I SAID WHAT FOR YOUR THE ONE ACTING DISORDLEY.I SAID YOU HAVE NOTHING ON ME AND THAT HE SHOULD ARREST HIMSELF FOR HARRASSMENT,DISORDERLY AND SO ON.THEN I GOT IN MY CAR WHEN THE TOW TRUCK STARTED TO PULL OUT HE STOPPED QUICK.I STARTED THE CAR AND WAS HOPING AFTER THAT HE DIDN'T SEE ME CAUSE I WOULD HAVE STAYED IN THERE TILL HE GOT WHEREEVER AND I WAS GOING TO START IT UP AND FLY HOME.(BUT I HAVE BEEN MAKING MY PAYMENTS THEY AGREED WITH THE BBB TO MAKE SPCIAL ARRANGMENTS.IT WAS PAID LAST MONTH AND THIS MONTH WITH ME READY TO PAY MY NEXT ONE MONDAY.EXCUSE MY FRENCH THE GUY WAS A PUTTY.WHAT DO I DO ?DO THEY STILL GIVE YOU A CHANCE TO GET IT BACK?AND BESIDES I AM CALLING THE LADY GLORIA WHO WAS DOING THE ARRANGMENTS AND TELL THEM THEY BROKE THE AGREEMENT.THE GUY GAVE ME NO PAPER OR WHERE HE WAS FROM OR THAT HE WAS EVEN ALLOWED TO TAKE IT.

marty you have a lot of good advice, just not for the real world, i bought an 02 for 5000, loan term 25 months with westlake, paid off it was 9,839. westlake is a rip off u work for them or ur wife does, god forbid you should ever be n a situation that you have to feed your kids or pay your car note, you would let your kids starve.

Marty, I was checking out Westlake.It's obvious that you work for Westlake, which shows me the level this company will go.

Thanks dude, I'll stay away from them.%$%^&* to you too !

Wow!I came across this and while I know how rude they can be, we haven't had any problems with them.

We've had a loan with them since June 2008 and for the most part have made every payment on time. One month we called before the payment was due and explained that we'd be late, all they asked for was to mail a post-dated check. We did and all was fine. Then my husband lost his job earlier this year and we called again.

They offered to let us pay a payment equal to 1% of the loan (about 70 dollars) and then resume payments the next month. Again, we did and all was fine.

We have paid a few payments a couple of days late but never gotten phone calls from them and never gotten any rude comments like described here.I'm sorry all of you have had such a bad experience though.

#198150

I had a loan with Westlake and paid on time for over a year..had 1 late payment and they repoed the car!!I've experienced the worse customer service with them!

they're a low down unprofessional business with the executives at an untouchable level while they hire these drop outs from east L.A. to harrass you for minimum wage (lol) they're a joke and a scam and should stop preying on people whose credit level fell a few points for whatever reasons!! they are setting themselves up for failure in whatever form it will take...sure they financed the car for me but of course with 30% interest rate hey who wouldn't want to loan on that return! they're collection dept consists of tortilla eating low down salsa dancing morons who when walking leave trails of water drops behind (LOL) stay away from them!!

they're a joke!and don't let them get to you!!WESTLAKE FINANCIAL IS NOT WORTH A NIGHT OF MISSED SLEEP!!!

#198149

FYI, if you live in California, there is an abusive debt collection law called the Rosenthal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Civil Code section 1788 to 1788.33.

Another resource is the National Association of Consumer Advocates, naca.net.